Saturday, October 25, 2008

Rachel Maddow Widow

Alright already. Enough with Maddow Madness! Has anyone else out there become a Rachel Maddow widow besides me?
It's starts at 5:55pm in my home - just as Keith Olberman's show is ending and he is on some wonderfully crazy, only half coherent, rant. From some other part of the house, my partner will come a-running. And she runs even faster if she has lost track of time and I have to actually remind her that Rachel Maddow is on. She will plop onto the couch and a totally loony starry-eyed look will cross her face. No sooner has this latest tv talking head started to tell us the news then my partner will start saying things like: "she is so cute"... or "she has such great hair"..."her eyes are so sparkly"...and "you could wear your hair like that"....or "she has nice eyebrows"! The worst: "why aren't you that smart?" And all these things are said in such a googly-eyed fashion that I wonder where my normally down-to-earth, not-impressed-by-much girlfriend of 24 years has gone!
Okay so she's a Rhodes Scholar, PhD, Oxford graduate and has a red truck. I have a green truck! I can lift heavy things! And I have a good hair day once in a while myself!
Drat you Maddow! I was doing just great with my girlfriend, being able to crush beer cans on my forehead. But now? Nooooooo, that just won't do anymore. Now I have to KNOW things! And even be able to make intelligent conversation! Thanks for nothing, Maddow!
Darn you.
Okay, maybe I'll try to get my hair to look like that. It is kinda nice looking.

3 comments:

Stacy Alexander said...

umm....you *could* wear your hair like that, Kim! ;-)

AVenefica said...

Hi Kim,

I've been a silent admirer of your blog for awhile.

I've tagged you to share 6 random bits about yourself. This is a blog community project to enhance exposure to unique blogs and bloggers alike.

Here is my entry and how this project works: Six Random Things - A Blogging Community Project

Polly said...

Ooooh, sister. Have I got a support group for you. The Maddow Widowers' Support Group, recently founded by yours truly.

I was Googling "Maddow + widow" after I wrote my post and -- lo and behold! -- I was sped to this post and your site. Fortunately, I'm also a Bay Area gal, so we may actually be able to hook up some kind of face-to-face commiseration. We are all in good company.

Really great art you got going on here, too. Thank you for sharing it.